You’ve just had a job interview and are excited about the opportunity. Now it’s time to follow up and show the hiring manager why you’re the best candidate for the position. Here are some tips on what to say after your interview in a follow-up email.
Key Information to Include
There are four main things you’ll want to do:
- Thank the recruiter for their time – It takes a lot of effort to look for candidates and perform interviews, so it’s important to be grateful for the time they’ve given you.
- Reconfirm your interest in the job – Let the hiring manager know you’re serious and have a genuine desire to work for their company.
- Reconfirm your qualifications – There’s no need to go into great detail, but refresh their memory of why you’re a good candidate and what you bring to the table.
- Include any information you may have forgotten – Is there anything you overlooked that they’ll want to know? Now is the time to point it out.
Here are some other best practices when reaching out to a recruiter:
- Include your contact information for easy reference
- Address them by name
- Invite them to ask you any questions they may need for clarification
- Be enthusiastic, polite and respectful
Now let’s put it all together with an example of a follow-up email.
1010 Main Street
Los Angeles, California
Hi [Hiring manager’s name],
Thanks for taking the time to meet with me earlier. I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to interview for the position.
After learning more about it, I’m very excited and feel I would be a great addition to your team. My background and expertise in [machining, welding, etc.] would enable me to greatly help your company. I also wanted to mention that [I recently obtained a certification in…], which would help me thrive in this position.
Please keep me updated on the hiring process and your ultimate decision.
Also, please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or need additional information. I look forward to talking with you soon.
Getting the follow-up email right is critical and can often be the deciding factor in whether you land the job or not. Following these tips and this example should ensure you touch on all the right points and impress the recruiter.
Have You Hit a Wall With Your Job Search?
Talk to the experts at Axiom Staffing Group today to see how we can help.